Wednesday 14 December 2011

I've had a lovely three days - my good friend Leyla who was in the year above me at Loughborough Uni on the Ceramics course has been staying with me and we've had a lot to talk about.  She is a Leo lady too and our lives have striking parallels!  We went over to St Ives dodging the hailstones and rain to look around.  She helped with my Monday night pottery class and claimed to have learned some tricks even she didn't know ont he technical side of things.
She is advising on the quest for the 'lost' cream glaze - apparently Titanium is the mystery element so I'll carry on testing.
Leyla is looking for inspiration as to what to make having been Technician at Brighton Uni for some years and now being fully self employed.  She likes terracotta with white slip and lives on a narrow boat on the Thames so perhaps canal boat art is the way to decorate her thrown ware!
A visit to Cornwall is always inspiring and she also got on very well with my cats too.

She gives pottery workshops/classes in and around London and can be seen at the larger Craft Fairs with her Throw a Pot stall!  We are talking about working together on similar things here as soon as I have my new cabin/workshop built in the upper garden to the rear of the gallery.  There will be room to set up the wheel so I can give throwing lessons and week long workshops combined with inspirational visits to St Ives and the surrounding landscape.
She is planning to be here for Cornwall Open Studios in June.

It's hailstoning today and looks like it's been snowing on Fore Street - only very intrepid shoppers will venture into the gallery today.



1 comment:

  1. That photo just doesn't show the horizontal whipping wind! You must be as hard as nails to live down there through winter Jane!.... So have you tried that Titanium yet ? ; )x

    ReplyDelete